Thursday 7 January 2010

Hey Elvis, Happy Birthday




Today (correction: tomorrow Jan 8) would have been Elvis Presley's 75th birthday. Think about that for a minute. Think about what the world would be like if the King of Rock were still alive. Let's not even start talking about the King of Pop not being around anymore, cuz that would open a whole new can of worms and today's not the day. Today we commemorate Mr Presley's rock n' roll. His sexy, smooth-like-honey voice, his unparalleled booty shake and his fine and mighty guitar stroke. His hair flip and his twist and shout. His way with women. The way he made Vegas come alive and the way he lit up the stage. Unfortunately the way he had with the bottle and the way he had with the junk food. Without Elvis being alive, we are a little less rock and a little less roll. We will never have another Elvis. 



For today's entry, I found it only appropriate to praise the King's music. And for that, my little karaoke gem find will do the trick just fine. Yeah that's right, karaoke. A few weeks ago, a group of girlfriends and I had the pleasure of hitting the mikes of Lucky Voice in Soho (or in Islington). We didn't know what hit us until we walked into the small and intimate "Lost in Translation" effect karaoke rooms where the tambourines, pink wigs and shiny microphones were waiting to be picked up by a couple of crazy singers with off-tune voices. It was an hour and half of pure bliss. Just make sure no one monopolizes the playlist and you'll be fine.



Here is a Top 5 Karaoke list of songs:


1. Hound Dog- by Mr Presley
2. Total Eclipse of the Heart- by Bonnie Tyler
3. My Sharonna- by The Knack 
4. Like a Prayer- by Madonna
5- Bohemian Rhapsody- by Queen



All song suggestions welcome!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, love Lucky Voice. So dangerous, the way they bring drinks into your booth, though!

    We did an MJ tribute after the KOP left us... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love Elvis. Long live rock 'n' roll.

    Lucky Voice was one of the highlights of my hen night! I once did a mean karaoke version of "That Don't Impress Me Much" by Shania Twain - how embarrasing to admit that to the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Elvis...how do I love thee, let me count the ways.

    As for karaoke songs, I do a mean Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back. What can I say this little white girl has always wanted to be a rapper :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. 75?! Wow, that's hard to believe. He's still the King.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good you get some dates right. Teeeee heeee.

    I want to go karaokeing, too. "My, my, my, i-yi wooooo. M m m mmmy Sharona... *bangs head wildly*

    xxx with LOL MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karaoke is so fun.

    Did you happen to see the documentary on TV about Elvis the other night? Mostly it was all from Priscilla's view. V interesting! I ended up reading about him on Wikipedia afterwards... :) love Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard to believe he'd be 75! Wow!

    I love your list of songs you choose!

    Happy Weekend,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who used to live in Memphis I love this post!

    PS- Love Queen, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a work evening there once, their karaoke system was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete