Wednesday 17 February 2010

Like the Scrooge on Bank Rob Day

East London still seems like such a daunting place in my puny narrow mind. Not because it has so many fantastic secrets to offer, and it does, but because it will take someone like me ages to discover even a third of them. Everything is so spread out. Shoreditch, Faringdon, Hackney, and that's just a fraction of it. And my legs are not what you would call short and stubby. They have taken me places before, and I still believe that they will take me to see the world on other zesty adventures. But there are still so many places to see, so much to discover, and I still now, after many escapades East, will have my eyes glued to my stupid iPhone Google maps like paparazzi to Kate Moss.

But my adventure out to Columbia Road Market last month was so much more than the discovery of another open market. It was yet another daunting realisation that there is more to London than the W11 and W1 postcodes. At least in terms of secrets to discover. That time, when I was wandering down Columbia Road Flower Market, I kept hoping to stumble upon that gem that would prove me wrong again in my assumptions about the East. And that it did. Yet again.


A treasure chest full of jewels, L'Orangerie is that magical place, in which the owner Caroline, a relentless European traveler, manages to bring an ecclectic flavour of European delights into one place. Necklaces, bangles, big fat rings, long chains and vintage pieces of furniture and knick knacks alike, you'll feel like the Scrooge on bank rob day. You'll want to take it all, all of it. And then you'll bathe in it, like there is no happier moment in life.

    
 

As you walk in, you'll find yourself ducking under dangling tree branches and bopping oranges. You'll suddenly smell perfumes and fragrances from Spain, Italy and Portugal, which will then magically turn into much cooler scents from the pine trees of northern Europe. You'll hear things scintillate as you slip your fingers through them, play with them and try them on. First make your way to Columbia Road Market if you haven't already. Then, step into a world of all things magical at L'Orangerie. You'll want it all. And you can, it's affordable. It's East London.


10 comments:

  1. Wow your description of this shop really makes it sound magical! I almost felt as if I was in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like I real find - I'll definitely have to hunt it out. I always love my trips to east London, there always seems to be something new that catches my eye.

    But on a different note, better not refer to Islington as east... You'll have a thousand angry north Londoners on your case ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie: haha that's done. My mistake:) Thanks for pointing that out...I guess that really goes to show that I don't go East as often I'd like! x LZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "exploring London" posts!! I haven't been to Columbia Road for years, you have really made me want to go there....thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a neighbour of kate moss, yes, the paparazzi are definitely glued to her! :)

    I really need/want to venture to east london and discover all the gems as well. I know they are there...but sometimes it seem a bit of trek/daunting with two kids in tow. Time to call the babysitter, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I really want to go!! Such a shame you aren't a lady of leisure anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts always make me miss London. I can't wait to visit again and do some more exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. always a treat to pop in there! Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love East London, this weekend I went there Friday night and Sunday. So much buzz there and always new exciting places to visit.

    ReplyDelete