Wednesday 21 April 2010

Prima Ballerinas

After I discovered the amazing shoe that is the Bloch ballet flat, I've been having trouble settling for anything else. I'm a tough crowd when it comes to the perfect ballet flat. In fact, when I am investing in a pair of flats, I follow a strict self-inflicted protocol. I think about the 4 following factors: value for money, comfort, timelessness and versatility. I am not one to spend over £180 on a pair (I will forever hold my breath at the sight of patent £300 Lanvin slippers but I will never succomb), and I consistently think about how many different outfits I can match them with. That's my policy, and it's worked so far, especially when safeguarding my loyalty to Bloch.

  Pretty Ballerinas, Pont Street, Belgravia

It's time to diversify that shoe rack, though. And I've been encouraged, better yet, urged, by a couple friends of mine to give this Menorquina brand a try. They are called Pretty Ballerinas and the UK flagship store resides in Belgravia, on Pont Street to be exact. A delightful location for a delightful shoe-shopping experience. Speaking of candy and cakes (see previous posts), the shelves and presentation of the shop resembles that of a candy store at the peak of the Christmas Holiday period. It's full of riches and treasures, waiting to be snagged. 

Leopard print flats, £140

Silver glitter flats, £110

And fair enough, celebrities have been spotted everywhere about town, sporting these adorable little  shoe gems. Claudia Schiffer, Lily Allen and Elle McPherson have all been seen wearing the latest models, patent red, black and leopard print, my favourite.


It's about time you realize Topshop and Zara make crappy shoes and you upgrade your shoe rack with a pair of shoe gems from Pretty Ballerinas.

16 comments:

  1. I spent - seriously - about an hour in Liberty once trying on Bloch shoes and standing there thinking how unbelievable lovely and perfectly comfy they were but they looked so delicate I wasn't sure whether I could invest so much and then have them potentially fall apart on me... (I'm not a very decisive shopper!). However, having seen on your bloch post that yours have stood up to daily wear I'm thinking I might go and reconsider my decision...

    (Those Pretty ballerinas look very cute too but they always look too slim fitting for big chunky feet like mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, loving your London blog zest! We should meet up for coffee sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'adore les premières ballerines ! regarde sur mon blog tu trouveras des similaires ! Je suis en pleine recherche de ballerines en ce moment !
    A rennes c'est LA shoe to have !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sell Bloch shoes at work and they are soooooo beautiful! Even the packaging is delightful!!
    Rianna xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is fabulous, you've been on my favourite list for some time, i go to london a lot to see my dad and you always have posts about nice shops and areas to go to!
    Rianna xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never considered Bloch flats but shall have a look at them. I bought a pair of French Sole ballerinas recently and have been really impressed by them so would recommended a look in their shop too. Plus it's very close to Pretty Ballerina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fell in love with Bloch flats after your post. I'll have to look into these now too. I love a great pair of flats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kathy peck leeds21 April 2010 at 06:52

    I love leopard ballet flats. I just bought a pair a few weeks ago, and was worried about what I'd wear them with - well I've been wearing them with absolutely everything.
    Have to try a Bloch flat soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My last leopard flats were from Karen Millen and I have worn them to death. I think I might be tempted to invest into a new pair.
    Lunch at the OC (if only...) next week? I could do Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. xx MM

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very cute! I have one pair of ballerinas from Zara (they're taupe with black patent toes and have served me well) but it's time for a new pair. I'm definitely going to check out these Pretty Ballerinas and fingers crossed I can get them online. A new pair for the summer is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I wear a size 8, and cannot wait for you to send me a pair of the glitterati ones. And, no, I'm not too old for them as my daughter says. This is wonderful to know. Sometimes, money is no object when we know we will love it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zesties, thanks for all your comments. As an answer to several of them, I would like to say that Blochs are still my number 1 go-to ballet flat. And if I HAD to, absolutely HAD to select a number 2, Pretty Ballerinas would have to be it. But a very close number 2 at that. The leopard ones are gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, glad to discover your blog, tell me if you want to exchange links:)
    Ohh I have to find some pretty flats, lately I am only into heels:)

    Happy days,
    Gia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would loooove to check out this store--need to retire my bloch ballerinas, but having a hard time following through. I bought a pair of isabel marant ballerinas this summer and they are really great, and little sturdier that bloch so looks like they may last a while longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. shoe shopping is so so sad in Switzerland. they either cost a million dollars or are not cute at all =( (or are really cheap) I went to Paris and was amazed at the shoes but didn't buy any - and now I'm kicking myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore pretty ballerinas. They are so chic and comfortable at the same time which is quite rare. I have one pair of shoes from Karen Millen which I picked up in Monaco one January during the sales. Must call round at Boch when next in London;-)

    ReplyDelete