Wednesday 9 June 2010

London's Secret Garden

With all of that city chaos and noise that we surround ourselves with daily, it's important to find a moment of peace and quiet somewhere in our busy schedules.  Personally, I find that when I get caught up in the moment of working, planning, organizing and living my life, I forget to breathe and I choke. So I step out of the zone. Yoga and pilates help, sure. But then again, in order to even participate in these so-called "meditative activities," I am constantly planning ahead too. What with booking everything in the diary and ensuring that nothing overlaps, even those relaxing moments of my day require a minimum of organization. It's a mind game of fake relaxation. Your brain tricks you into believing that you are taking time off. But actually, it's all a big fat lie. Sometimes, I must admit, I can't catch a break. I am living too fast.


For all of you who suffer from the fast life and the syndromes of fake relaxation, it's time to step out of the zone and find yourself a secret garden. I have mine. While it is no hidden gem to most Londoners, it definitely is a secret garden of sorts. Kensington Gardens is, by way of being perfectly groomed and elegant, the epitome of English gardens. And because I am accustomed to French gardens, which are notoriously messy, I kind of like myself a haven of pure perfection and serenity - English style. So just plop yourself down on a bench and take in the tranquility of nature, flowers dancing in the wind and birds chirping summer tunes. Take a deep breath and forget about the forsaken diary. It's just paper dictating your life. Now think about where the paper comes from. Trees, nature. That is what you cannot live without. Think about that.


Then, because you've done enough sitting and staring at grass grow, head over to the Orangery for a cuppa tea and scones. Take a seat outside on the terrasse under a parasol and sip slow. Eat slow. Maybe one day, you'll learn to live slow too.


10 comments:

  1. that is relaxing just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good advice, m'lady. I booked myself a holiday to Sicily last year and it was ridiculous: I spent so long planning and researching and looking for the best hotels, etc, by the time I got there I was a nervous wreck.

    Need to do more park chilling. :) Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did exactly this last week. I love that garden and the Orangery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post. I think we all need some nature to in our lives, it's almost cellular. Kensington Gardens is so beautiful, but far from LA - I've found an early morning walk by the ocean changes me, and slows me down for the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful. Kensington Gardens is always a must-visit when in London. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean: so happy to hear it. It's a very chill place. Now if only the weather held up, we could actually enjoy it!

    Kathy: Its really great that you have a place to be on your own in nature (and your doggies:)That walk sounds dreamy!

    Caroline: I know, planning holidays almost makes you need a holiday:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this brings back sweet memories for me! I was there in October and it was so beautiful! I never made it to the Orangery, but I certainly will next time! Thanks for the inspiring post! Have a lovely weekend!

    Kristin xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks perfect - I have never been there .. yet! Thanks for the pointer.
    I know exactly what you mean about fake relaxation - I do it all the time but am getting better at not. It's all about the simple things really. My no-fail solution is plonking myself on my windowsill with a book and a cup of tea and watching the world go by out of the corner of my eye, as I sit there and do nada. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've lived in London for 3 years and have never made it to Kensington Gardens. I currently work right be Regents Park and I love escaping from the office for half an hour at lunch when the weathers nice, a bit of greenery always does me the world of good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could learn to swtich off but I agree, tea and scones do help (we had them at home this afternoon.) Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete