Monday 14 February 2011

LondonZest Tries Hollywood Glamour

How can one think about gowns, jewels and stilettos when the outdoor temperature reaches the zeroes and all you want to do is slap on some mittens and a hoodie just to brave the cold London wind? I am feeling awfully shabby these days, preferring to settle for the jeans and knit sweaters than the cute LBD and accessories combo. But the Hollywood awards season having kicked off already and Spring weddings and exciting travel plans coming up shortly, I am finding myself longing for the occasion to dress up and be glamourous. Done with the winter blues, hello to the bejeweled evenings out and parties. In comes the shopping.


Walking past the Merchant, the posh yet welcoming high end designer Vintage store on Ledbury Road in Notting Hill, I was immediately enamored with the beauty of the window. I saw Chanel, I saw Stella and Dior, I saw Louboutins, Choos and Prada.


I grinned. I immediately had a vision of myself, tall, confident, glamourous, donning a flowy frock and diamond earrings, an Oscar in hand, on stage, thanking my mum, my dad, God, and of course, the academy. I don't know how it happened, but before I knew it, I was inside the treasure trove, trying on dozens of items, garments, shoes and jewelry and forgot about it all, the cold, the wind, the mittens. And then I grinned even wider, the treasure trove sheltered a Golden chest filled with vintage jewels. 


And suddenly, the long grey gown I had chosen for my upcoming friend's wedding seemed much less dull. The earrings were on my ears - and there was no taking them off. I smiled to the clerk - and there was not much else to say but thank you. And have a good day.


These are no diamonds but I'll settle for these any day of the week. I wish I could tell you the name of the designer but he remains nameless- honestly the shop assistant had no idea what his name was. You'll have to go check it out for yourself. So off you go, zesties.


The Merchant
36 Ledbury Road 
London, W11 2AB

9 comments:

  1. this place is brilliant and they have a gorgeous balenciaga blazer thats to die for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about feeling shabby - my lips are cracked from the cold. I am falling into pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ear-rings ... I'm sure they'll look great with your long grey gown!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that store looks so fun to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Emily, you can't beat a bit of dressing up. Your earrings are beautiful, they would make any outfit xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want to purchase all the things ..which are showing in pic's

    really nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful shop. Just love the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to leave work now and go and explore this beautiful looking shop! WOW

    you've got a great blog here - I'm following!

    would love you to enter my amazing giveaway:

    http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-gievaway-yet-ida-restaurant-pasta.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete