Wednesday 9 March 2011

An Ode to Something British: The Jacket Potato

It's the Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich of the Albion. The Moules Frites of the Brits. The Kung Pao Chicken of Mother England. A carb/fat fest on crack. The good ol' traditional, sloppy, slimey and incredibly salty jacket potato is something I've only recently discovered - not because I wasn't aware of it, but simply because I wasn't ready for it. And quite frightened of it to be perfectly honest. That's right, to enjoy the Jacket Potato moment, you've gotta be ready, you've gotta be open to an indulgent, rich and somewhat surprising culinary experience. Well, it took me ages - two and half years to be exact - but I finally sunk my teeth into the JP with beans and cheese earlier this week. And I wolfed it down.


It's not that I don't see what you see. This looks positively gross. The orange colour from the bean sause looks awfully artificial and the runniness of the melted cheese could tie a stomach in knots for days. Call me crazy but I think that sounds like a recipe for a fabulous Monday work lunch. At the divey Franx cafe in Covent Garden, you couldn't find a cheaper, more delicious and absolutely fantastic JP with beans and cheese. Add a dollop of bacon and you're all set.


I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to the Jacket Potato in London. If you zesties have got any recommendations, I would love to hear them.


Enjoy the early Spring sunshine!

8 comments:

  1. It looks good. I've never tried this but potato, beans and cheese sounds like a good combo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have them at least once a week but I never eat them out as they don't use enough butter nor do they mash the potato enough. I cook a whole bag off at once (200 degrees about an hour and fifteen mins, pieced with a fork) and for the lunch the next day, I scoop out the middle, mix with cream cheese, spring onion and cheddar, refill and pop under the grill. Now you know why I am on cholestrol tablets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki! I don't know if I am either actually. Although I really want to be! x LZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you say, 'you've gotta be ready', and I don't think I am quite ready for my Jack Potato Moment just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacket potatoes are my favourite lunch time thing to have - they would almost be healthy as well if I did not put so much cheese on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a JP. Beans, cheese, tuna and sweetcorn = delicious. Also piles of chilli on top too. Yum yum. Perfect for a winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There used to be a fast food jacket potato place in Camden and Notting Hill I used to love called Spud-u-Like, unfortunately they closed down.

    The best ones were bolognese sauce and mature cheddar, chilli and mature cheddar or tuna mayonnaise with spring onion.

    Hope all's good with you Emily xx

    ReplyDelete